Live the Lifestyle You DeserveLearn More About Our Living Options Today.
By residing in Legacy Village, our seniors are surrounding themselves with a scenic community that is beautiful throughout all four seasons. As colder weather approaches our Xenia, Ohio location, there are many things to do in southwest Ohio this winter in addition to staying cozy at home.
If you’re thinking about joining our community, or are interested in visiting a loved one here at Legacy Village, this list of fun activities in Xenia, Ohio is a perfect starting reference for finding things to do in the area during the wintertime.
From a brisk walk in the park to viewing holiday lights, the following are great things to do in Dayton, Ohio that will entertain you and keep you warm during this festive time of year.
Traditional Holiday Fun in Dayton and Xenia, Ohio
When you’re looking for winter-related things to do in southwest Ohio, you can’t miss these small-town traditions that remain popular in the Xenia and Dayton areas.
- Virginia Kettering’s Holiday Train Display – Guests of all ages can visit the Kettering Tower to view the decorative train station which was bestowed to the community by philanthropist Virginia Kettering.
- The Tike’s Shoppe – Do you have children or grandchildren coming to visit? A fun thing to do in Xenia is taking them to this shop that’s only for kids. Elves will help them budget while parents wait outside. No adults allowed!
- Family Movie Series at the Neon – This theatre in Dayton, Ohio is playing holiday movies every Saturday during the month of December. Admission for children is free!
- Niederman Family Farm – A popular thing to do in southwest Ohio during the winter months is visiting this family-friendly farm, which features decorated trees, a nativity scene and more.
- Noontime Entertainment – Throughout the month of December, various entertainers will be performing in downtown Dayton on weekdays during the 12 o’clock lunch hour.
- Wintergarden Wonderland – Another fun thing to do in Dayton is seeing the Rike’s Department Store window displays of animated elves, woodland animals and more.
- Woodland Lights – Open nightly, this holiday display features lights, visits with Santa, characters in costume and more. This is perfect for the entire family!
- Carillon Historic Park – For a fun activity in southwest Ohio, visit this park that features dozens of holiday events, activities and festivals.
- Young’s Dairy Farm – For something fun to do in Xenia, Ohio, visit the Young’s Dairy Farm. You can cut your own Christmas tree, enjoy homemade ice cream and browse their gift shop.
- Christmas on Campus – Visit the University of Dayton to participate in this yearly event where students and faculty have “buddies” from local schools that they walk around with for games and activities.
- Yellow Springs Community Food Pantry – Take time to give back to those in need this season by volunteering at this local food pantry.
- MetroParks Ice Rink – Check a popular winter tradition off your list by ice skating at this outdoor park. The rink also provides a view of downtown Dayton!
Other Things to Do in Southwest Ohio
In addition to the various holiday traditions that are present in Dayton and Xenia, there are also many other winter activities in southwest Ohio that are ideal for the entire family, such as:
- Dayton Flyers Basketball – Keep warm by staying in and watching the Dayton Flyers play ball at the UD Arena during the winter months.
- Cincinnati Premium Outlets – A fun thing to do in southwest Ohio would be visiting this outdoor mall for shopping, dining and local entertainment.
- The Dayton Art Institute – This museum offers art displays, special events, group tours and more.
- Boonshoft Museum of Discovery – For a fun and educational activity in the Dayton area, visit this museum that features animals, an IMAX theatre and more.
- Oregon District – For things to do in Dayton, Ohio, visit this historic district that is filled with restaurants, historic homes, holiday events and more.
- National Museum of the U.S. Air Force – During colder days, stay warm by visiting the Air Force Museum. Learn about its history, view engaging exhibits, or go on a group tour.
- MetroParks Paved Trails – For some scenic exercise, a fun thing to do in Dayton is to walk on one of the MetroPark’s seven paved trails.
- The Magic Castle - Another attraction to add to the list of things to do in Xenia would be The Magic Castle, which includes an arcade, batting cages and a jungle gym for children 11 years and younger.
- Scout Dog Park – Take your furry friend to this Xenia-located dog park for a picturesque walk or run.
- Woodland Cemetery – This Dayton cemetery’s history goes back to the 1800s, and the Wright Brothers and other popular influencers have been buried here. Attend a tour or special event at Woodland year-round.
- Dayton Mall – Whether you’re looking to purchase gifts for the loved ones on your holiday shopping list or just want to explore the venue, the Dayton Mall is filled with stores and restaurants that everyone in your family will enjoy.
- Victoria Theatre Association – If you’re looking for activities in southwest Ohio, this Dayton theatre offers shows year-round and entertainment for family members of all ages.
Visit Our Xenia, Ohio Community This Winter!
Although Xenia is a small town, there are still plenty of fun things to do in southwest Ohio and its nearby areas. Once you experience the fun of a Xenia, Ohio winter and check these activities off your to-do list, feel free to give us a visit!
Contact us today because we’d be happy to show you around our community or answer any questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you!