Live the Lifestyle You DeserveLearn More About Our Living Options Today.
If you are a Pittsburgh resident making the move to Waverly, Ohio to retire at Bristol Village, you’re in good company! Southern Ohio is a wonderful place to spend your retirement years, with its array of fulfilling activities and proximity to so many major cities. But before you make the move, be sure to check out these helpful tips!
1. Plan Ahead
With any move, no matter the space you are coming into, planning is an essential part of the process. And planning is especially important when you are moving to a different state.
Here are some of the best tactics you can implement, curtesy of MakeSpace:
- Get rid of everything you don’t need, and either donate to family or schedule a free donation pickup for all the things you don’t want
- With bigger items that you can sell – couches, wardrobes, dressers, etc. – find ways to sell them easily and locally, such as through Facebook Marketplace, Letgo, and Craigslist
- Sort objects by category. All kitchen items packed together, all bathroom items, etc.
- Pick the right moving day by trying to gauge what time of the year can supply the best weather, and try to avoid holiday weekends that can have heavy traffic
- Map out the best way to get to your new home. In some cases, the fastest route might not be the best for cars and trucks with a lot of cargo. There could be more scenic alternative routes that might help make your move more of an adventure!
- Create a master moving to-do list that includes a schedule breakdown, items to pack last minute, and things to do before you head out on the road – such as stopping and saying a last goodbye to your favorite people
- If you have a pet, be sure to create a space in your car for them to relax and stay calm!
2. Hire a Moving Company
One of the best tips from MakeSpace’s list is to hire a moving company. Not only can movers save you the headache of driving a large unfamiliar truck, but they also obviously take care of all the loading and unloading of boxes and furniture, and all the effort and pains those actions can bring about.
Start researching companies who provide nationwide moving services and get quotes based off of the number of things you have, the estimated travel time, and any additional factors.
Be sure to ask about storage, liability, warranties, and other issues to ensure that all your goods will be safe and cared for.
Live the Lifestyle You DeserveLearn More About Our Independent Living Options Today
3. Research Local Amenities
When you live in a city a long time, you definitely have a list of your favorite places to go around town. These locations can include a favorite pizza place, a preferred grocery store, and even spot to go watch the sunset.
If you have any spare time, try researching some local spots in your new area by reading reviews and asking around so you’ll have your first few adventures all planned out!
4. Start Making Friends
One of the hardest things to do when you move is to try and create lasting connections with your new neighbors. Thankfully, there are so many things to do at Bristol Village and in the surrounding area that meeting other couples or singles like yourself will be all the easier!
Besides taking advantage of all the activities we offer here on campus, there are plenty of fun things to do around town to help you get social and mingle!