Enjoy Retirement Comfort and LuxuryDiscover More About Our Premium Senior Living Options.
February is American Heart Month so we decided to write this post to highlight the importance of cardiovascular health and illustrate some easy ways for you to help keep your heart healthy!
Tips for Keeping Your Heart Healthy!
The American Heart Association suggests four simple ways to ensure that your heart remains strong, all of which help to reduce your risk of heart complications. Here are the four things they advocate:
1. Be a smarter eater
This one is pretty straightforward. Eating better is a direct way to improve your heart health and to help prevent serious heart conditions in the future.
Here are some foods you should avoid regularly eating:
- Candy, soda, and other sugary foods
- This includes cereals and diet soda
- Meats with high saturated fats
- Most deli meats
- Deep fried foods
- Burgers from fast-food chains
2. Make your meals more colorful
Fruits and vegetables are an essential part of a good diet, especially when it comes to one that is focused on heart health!
Add some color to your everyday meals by buying or growing fresh fruits and veggies to incorporate into your diet. The American Heart Association made this great infographic to help you see the wide range to choose from!
3. Get moving!
We understand that as you age, it is harder to stay as active as you once were. But, there are many easy, pain-free ways to get a little more active!
Low-impact exercises are terrific ways to get your heart pumping and blood moving to help make your heart stronger. Here are some activities you can engage in at our senior living facility, or around the city of Lake Wales!
- Water aerobics
- Tai chi
- Seated exercises
- Ballroom dancing
4. Keep your body well
One of the last parts of heart health is one that many forget about, and that is helping your body, brain, and heart stay happy by keeping stress low!
Be sure that you are getting your full eight hours of sleep each night, being mindful of taking care of your body’s needs, and interacting with others.
Make self-care a priority in your life in whatever way it means to you! Whether it’s a nice massage or hot bath, or even just turning off the electronics an hour before bed and reading a good book, there are many ways for you to reduce stress in your life and keep your body and heart happy and well.
Keep Your Heart Healthy at Our Retirement Community!
There are a variety of ways for you to improve your cardiovascular health when you come to live at our senior living community!
Here are just a few of the things you can do on or around campus:
- Join our health and wellness programs
- Stay active with an assortment of area activities
- Eat well by planting your own fresh foods in our vegetable and herb garden beds
- Engage in a low-impact, high-result workout in our heated pool
- Make some time to check out our fitness center
- Take a stroll across our campus or around Lake Wales
Check Out Our Blog for More Posts
- 5 Tips for Boosting Your Overall Energy Levels in 2018
- The 9 Best Things to Do in Central Florida During the Winter
- 5 Ways Water’s Edge of Lake Wales Can Help You Keep Your New Year’s Resolution
- Breast Cancer Awareness at Lake Wales