Enjoy Retirement Comfort and LuxuryDiscover More About Our Premium Senior Living Options.
Valentine’s Day is a special day for couples to take time each year and celebrate the ones they love. To show our loved ones just how much they mean to us, gestures like going out to eat, purchasing flowers, and making personalized cards are all great ways to celebrate.
And while spending time with significant others is a terrific way to enjoy the holiday, getting together with family is another way, and there’s nothing quite like spending time with the grandchildren.
With this in mind, our team has compiled a list of ways that you can celebrate this special winter day with grandchildren of any age. From staying in and baking to going out to a local restaurant for a meal, we have a variety of ways to ensure your grandchildren will be feeling the love this Valentine’s Day.
Bake Some Treats
Embrace your sweet tooth with one (or all!) of these savory Valentine’s Day-themed treats. You and your grandchildren will have a blast baking these items and eating them as a hard-earned dessert.
- Sugar Cookie Bracelets – Combine two great things with these sugar cookies, which serve as both a dessert and fashion statement!
- Chocolate Buttons – Described as “really enormous” chocolate buttons, grandchildren will love these savory treats, which come from a recipe which allows for decorating and making each button your own.
- Red Velvet Brownies – If sugar cookies or chocolate isn’t your grandchild’s favorite, go with this delectable brownie dessert that’s topped with cream cheese frosting.
- Marshmallow Treats – These cereal-based treats, shaped into a heart, will be a hit with everyone! Top them with pretzels, peanut butter and more.
- Puppy Chow – This Valentine’s Day edition of the classic treat features a new, unique addition – red and white frosted animal crackers!
Make Decorations and Cards
Another way to express your creativity and craft a unique gift that you’ll be able to keep forever is by making decorations and cards. Utilize these suggestions below or make something that’s completely you own!
- Heart Stamps – Even the tiniest grandchildren can help with this! Adult supervision should be used in forming the heart stamps made from cardboard, but grandchildren can have a ball using the stamps on paper.
- Tissue Paper Suncatcher – This decoration is Valentine’s Day-themed but can stay in your window all year round! The best part is that you can customize each suncatcher to your liking, making each one special and unique.
- Love Tree – Trace your grandchild’s hand on a piece of construction paper then cut it out and use it as a tree that you can attach paper hearts to. Each heart can be colored or have messages written on it.
- Fingerprint Picture Frame – Transform an old picture frame into a one-of-a-kind creation when you help your grandchildren apply red, pink, purple and white fingerprints to the frame’s border.
- String of Hearts Garland – Put a holiday twist on the classic paper chain with a heart garland. Use colored construction paper and transform it into hearts that you then poke a hole in and connect with string.
Create Fun Memories
In addition to baking and crafting with your grandkids, there are other ways to make the holiday completely your own. Plan a day they’ll never forget with some of these fun ideas:
- Scavenger Hunt – Easily create a scavenger hunt for your grandchildren to enjoy with printable clues, riddles and more!
- Stuffed Animal Tea Party – Host a holiday tea party or pretend you’re in a high-end restaurant where the guests are your grandchildren’s favorite stuffed animals!
- Make Chore Coupons – Help your grandkids make a unique gift for their friends, parents, siblings and more by helping them with chore coupons!
- Have an At-Home Photoshoot – Mark the day with images you’ll be able to keep forever! Wear red and pink, use props such as a blanket or a chalkboard for a backdrop, and snap away!
- Read Books – There are plenty of Valentine’s Day books at your local library that you and your grandchildren could read to each other!
Learn the History of Valentine’s Day
Teach your grandchildren everything that led up to the creation of Valentine’s Day, why we celebrate it, and more.
- Valentine’s Day Background – Learn all about the background of St. Valentine and how he became associated with love and romance.
- Celebrating in America – How long has Valentine’s Day been seen as a holiday in the U.S.? Hint: it’s been celebrated here for a long time!
- Celebrating Around the World – Learn about how people in other parts of the world celebrate this special holiday!
- Cupid – Why is cupid seen as the mascot of Valentine’s Day? Read up on it here, then tell your grandkids all about it!
- Colors – Learn about why we choose to associate the colors red, white and pink with the holiday and what each color symbolizes!
Explore Lake Wales
Want to take your grandkids somewhere fun for Valentine’s Day? Here are some suggestions of places to go – right here in Lake Wales, Florida!
- Legoland – Your grandkids will have a blast at Legoland as they ride rides, build models from their favorite movies, and more!
- Bok Tower Gardens – Show your grandchildren some beautiful scenery as you walk by the flowers, fountains and more.
- Regal Cinemas – Catch a movie at the cinema, where you can grab some popcorn and relax in their plush seating.
- Lake Wales Family Restaurant – The name says it all! Grab a bite of comfort food and peruse their diverse menu.
- Topper’s Creamery – Grab some dessert from Topper’s Creamery, which offers sundaes, shakes, malts and more!
We Hope You Have a Great Valentine’s Day!
On behalf of everybody at Water’s Edge of Lake Wales, we hope you and your grandchildren have a very happy Valentine’s Day. Is there something on our list of suggestions that you tried and loved, or that we missed? Reach out to us today and let us know. We look forward to hearing from you soon!