After five summers of work, Legacy Village residents are ready to hold a formal dedication and monument unveiling for their Memorial Garden. The event is scheduled for 11 a.m. Sept. 6 at 1272 Moody Drive, Xenia.
The dedication ceremony will feature speakers who will honor the original use of the site as a hospital for Civil War orphans. Speakers include Xenia Mayor Marsha Bayless and the President of the Association of Ex-Pupils Don Regal. Members of the Legacy Village Memorial Garden Committee, chaired by Carol Lynne Usher, will join residents, the Xenia Chamber of Commerce and others representing organizations from the 253-acre Legacy Center campus.
The legacy of good work on the campus dates back to 1869, when it was known as the Ohio Soldiers and Sailors’ Orphans Home. The facility was commissioned by President Abraham Lincoln on land donated by Ohio Civil War soldiers. In 1978, the home’s name was changed to the Ohio Veterans’ Children’s Home. The last graduating class was in June 1996. Eventually, Legacy Village Retirement Center was built on the land.
National Church Residences assumed ownership of the senior community in January 2011. It is now a 48-acre Senior Living community with 36 patio-style duplex and single-family homes, as well as an assisted living center. The Memorial Garden will be a centerpiece in the planned expansion of the village.