Live the Lifestyle You DeserveLearn More About Our Living Options Today.
In his second inaugural address, President Abraham Lincoln challenged each of the states to meet the needs of widows and orphans created by the Civil War. Ohio members of the Grand Army of the Republic took up the challenge in 1896 and soon purchased 100 acres from a Xenia farmer, establishing the Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Orphans' Home. "The Home," as it is still fondly called, grew and developed into one of the finest orphanages in the state, providing a home to more than 13,000 children during its 127-year history.
The Grant Building (Original Orphanage), built in 1873, was destroyed by fire in 1876 and rebuilt in 1879. Athletes In Action's International Headquarters is being housed in the historic location.
Amos Hall, originally the children's dining hall, is now the site of The Schindler Banquet Center, an elegant setting for a 650-person banquet facility. The colonnades, terrazzo floor, and large sculpted windows add to the elegance of the hall. This facility is great for banquets, wedding receptions, conferences, seminars, retreats, concerts, and reunions.
The Lincoln Building, built in 1941, which housed Woodrow Wilson High School, has been renovated and now is the home of Xenia Christian School (a part of the Dayton Christian School System). Nearly 400 children, from pre-K through 12th grade, are being "educated for eternity" within this 41,085-square foot building.
The Barnett Building, is the site for International School Project Headquarters and Joni & Friends. The 23,700-square-foot,?48-room facility was originally designed for classrooms where various trades were taught. Several classes of Xenia Christian School also meet in the building.
The Gymnasium, built in 1941, includes a basketball court, locker rooms, and a weight training room. The gym is actively used by Xenia Christian School and for basketball training camps conducted by Athletes In Action.
Collier Chapel, built in 1873, is the oldest building established on the campus. It was dedicated in 1876, the year of Custer's Last Stand. It still contains the original candle operated chandeliers, which were electrified in the 1920's. The Association of Ex-Pupils (AXP) modernized the facility in 1992. Current usages include weddings, assemblies, and concerts.