Live the Lifestyle You DeserveLearn More About Our Living Options Today.
To commemorate Veterans Day, we interviewed two of our residents who are veterans, Gary Brinkman and Hal Tripp. Keep reading to learn more about them and what this holiday means to them.
Q: Which branch of the military did you serve under and what was your rank?
Gary – Army Spec. 4.
Hal – Army Air Corps.
Q: When and where did you serve? Were you drafted or did you enlist? (If you enlisted, why did you choose the branch that you chose?)
Gary – Drafted after a week of basic, I enlisted. Ft. Riley, KS; Ft. Gordon, GA; Vietnam; Germany; and in 1968-1971, Ft. Knox, KY.
Hal – I was sent overseas to Africa (Dran, Algiers) then spent about a year in Italy. I enlisted May 15, 1941 – more pay.
Q: What was your main job assignment during your time in the service, and what was this experience like?
Gary – Communication working in tight close quarters.
Hal – I flew in a B-17 heavy bomber as a Bombardier/Navigator.
Q: What were some of your most memorable experiences during your time in the service?
Gary – Slept on the ground in basic, overcome with carbon monoxide in school after basic. In jail in France while on leave from Germany.
Hal – Being shot down twice – and meeting the Pope.
Q: How long did you serve for, and what direction did you take your career in after your time in the service?
Gary – 3 years B.V. sight and sound.
Hal – Four years then started a furniture factory as if nothing ever happened.
Q: How do you think your experience in the military influenced your life after you finished serving, if at all?
Gary – Teaches respect, leadership, discipline.
Hal – I don’t think it changed me one way or the other.
Q: What advice would you give to someone who is thinking about enlisting in the military?
Gary – It’s good for teaching, maturing.
Hal – Give it a lot of thought and ask a lot of questions.
Discounts and Resources for Veterans in Waverly, OH
A variety of national companies offer discounts to veterans who show a valid ID (*Discount may vary by location).
Businesses that Have Specials and Discounts for Veterans
- Food and Drink
- Longhorn Steakhouse
- Golden Corral
- Dunkin Donuts
- Burger King
- Buffalo Wild Wings
- Dairy Queen
- Boston Market
- Carl’s Jr.
- Ci-Ci’s Pizza
- Cold Stone Creamery
- Cracker Barrel
- Famous Dave’s
- Pizza Hut
- Red Robin
- Texas Roadhouse
- Bass Pro Shops
- Home Depot
- Sam’s Club
- Christopher & Banks
- Eddie Bauer
- Old Navy
- DSW Shoe Warehouse
- Champs Sports
- Various dealerships
- Firestone Auto Center
- Advanced Auto Parts
- O’Reilly Auto Parts
- Travel and Vacation
- American Airlines
- Best Inn
- Best Western
- Comfort Inn
- Days Inn
- Walt Disney World Resort
- Southwest Airlines
- Carnival Cruises
- Sea World
- Six Flags
- Technology and Entertainment
- The Apple Store
- Dell Computers
- Regal Theaters
- Local theaters
Resources Around Waverly
- Veterans Resource Center – Chillicothe, OH
- City of Columbus Veterans Resources
- Franklin County Resources
- Veterans Free Clothing Store – Columbus, OH
- Human Resources for Veterans Central Ohio
- Volunteers of America Veterans Resources – Greater Ohio
- Ohio Attorney General Veterans Resources in Ohio
- Columbus Vet Center
- Columbus Chamber of Commerce Veterans Resources
- Council on Aging Veterans Resources – Southern Ohio
Events Near Waverly, OH
- Chillicothe, Ohio Events
- Ohio AMVETS Events
- Central Ohio Veterans Events
- Ohio Disabled Veterans Meetings (District 9)
Looking for Veteran-Friendly Housing Near Columbus, OH?
Bristol Village is an active senior living community that offers many ways to stay independent while maintaining your health. We offer a variety of services on our campus as part of our continuing care focus.
Bristol Village Living Options
We know that as you age, you may face obstacles that interfere with your daily routine, which is why we offer a variety of living options to help you at every step of the way:
- Bristol Court Apartments – Obtain the privacy of independent living you desire, while still having the assistance you need for pesky tasks such as vacuuming
- Private Houses – For optimal comfort and convenience, we suggest our community homes that feature services such as snow removal, home maintenance, and more
- Assisted Living – Offering both private and semi-private apartments to meet your wants and needs, our assisted living facility provides around the clock care when you need it the most
- Hospice Care – We understand the assistance you might require if illness or accidents occur, and we are here to help. Our hospice care is overseen by our group of highly skilled nurses who are experienced at helping seniors regain and maintain their health
About National Church Residences
We are a Christian-based community that was built on a commitment of servicing those who need our help. Our mission is to give seniors the high-quality care and service they deserve through our range of residential communities around the United States.
Our vision has always been to grow and provide quality living options for seniors of all kinds by allowing them to find a comfortable place they can call home. We strive to provide excellence that transforms lives.
Learn More About Bristol Village on Our Blog
If you enjoyed this post, here are some more you may like:
- Get to Know the Resident Behind the Boomer Explorer!
- Introducing Our Café at Bristol Village, Waverly's Newest Dining Experience
- Get to Know Bristol Village’s New 24-Month Age-qualified Lease
- Why Christian Senior Living May Be Right for You
Join Our Senior Living Community in Waverly Today
If you or a loved one are interested in calling Bristol Village home, contact us today to learn more.